Re: Fwd: [openmoko-announce] Free Your Phone

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:18:55PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> http://openmoko.com/files/OpenMoko_Amsterdam.pdf
> Folie 14 bestaetigt das.

Wie man in Harald Weltes Blog lesen kann ist der GSM stack auf einer
anderen CPU.

"So basically, from a Free Software community level, this is exactly the
kind of phone you want to get involved with, and play with. Yes, it's
not the perfect phone. It runs a proprietary GSM stack on a separate
processor. There are some minor, self-contained proprietary bits on the
back end side in userspace. But well, it's probably the best you can do
as a first shot of a new generation of devices, and without too much
existing market power to put on upstream vendors."

"In userspace, there only one single component that is not going to be
under a Free Software License: It's our GPS daemon. The reason for this
is, that the specific high-sensitivity assisted GPS that we wanted is
only available in something like a "soft modem GPS", e.g. one that does
most of the GPS signal processing in software."

(http://gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/)

Gruss
Christian Leber

--